Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Last Weekend

Hi Everyone-

I hope you enjoy this update because it will be my last one for awhile. I will not be writing again until March 4th because I am leaving for my rural homestay in Kapchura which is in Eastern Uganda. After that we travel as a large group and I think we are going to meet people working with Mennonite Central Committee and learn about conflict resolution. We are also visiting a waterfall. I’ll let you know all about that next time.
Unfortunately, the circumcision trip was canceled. I was bummed but then on very short notice a girl in our group arranged the white water rafting trip. We left on Saturday and went white water rafting on the Nile. Before we went rafting, my friend Betsy and I bungee jumped. We went tandem (together) and held onto each other as we plummeted off a tower 144 feet up in the air. It was incredibly uncomfortable but still pretty sweet. I can’t wait to see the video footage. When they counted down, 3, 2, 1 neither of us budged. I knew Betsy wouldn’t go so I did not want to lean off without her. The second time though, I did the leaning for the two of us, which might have added to the discomfort. I was expecting my back to hurt afterwards, but it was mainly just my stomach that hurt. The rafting was incredible! We rafted for the rest of the day on some pretty rough rapids. Once our boat flipped on a class five rapid and I was under water from up to 8 seconds (or at least it felt like it). The first time after a few seconds I came up for air but only got water. The second time, I was gasping like crazy. It seemed pretty close to drowning. I now know what that feels like. It was a cool experience though, with gorgeous views and floating along the Nile (outside the boat) for part of the time. I went rafting both in Pennsylvania and Montana but I no longer consider that rafting.
I got a cold on Thursday and went rafting with a cold. When I got back from rafting, I had a sunburn on top of being sick. I stayed in bed most of Sunday and I’m starting to feel better which is good. I’m hoping to improve before we travel on Friday. My classes are going well. I’m finally starting to be serious about my work so hopefully that keeps up. The classes are easier but I’m definitely not doing my best work. I think that is the general consensus because there is just so much to do and experience. Another one of my host brothers left for boarding school so the house is getting quieter than ever. It’s a great place though. I’m much more relaxed with the family. I get along great with the other Uganda study abroad student (Melody) too. So that’s all I have for now. I’ll put in another request for emails. Keep me updated on your lives.

Have a great two weeks,
Becca

No comments: